The Chronicle

The Student News Site of Springfield Township High School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

STHS’s Annual Blood Drive

On May 15th, Springfield hosted the annual blood drive through the American Red Cross. Located in the Blue gym, many students, teachers, parents, and township residents came on Wednesday to give blood. In collaboration with the Red Cross, student council organized the drive, which, by many accounts, was a great success. 

In the gym, stations were spread out in different corners to provide privacy while taking blood. Trained professionals from the Red Cross drew the blood, and then those who gave their blood received their choice of food or drink from a snack stand to help recover. Students could then relax on the wrestling mats right by the snack stand. 

Bella Navo, a junior, was a part of the group in student council that helped organize the day’s events. Bella acknowledged that “turnout was good” amongst the students at Springfield and even with some parents. 

However, turnout was not only high from those directly giving blood. Bella said that “a lot of people came to support their friends even if they weren’t able to donate.” There could be a variety of different reasons that some people are not qualified to give blood, but many of them still came to support and possibly quell some fears about the process. Bella, herself, had the paramount job of the “hand holder” for those that were having their blood taken. 

As in previous years, this year’s blood drive was a success. The wide variety of participants allowed for a great day. Much gratitude goes to the Red Cross, Mrs. McDade, everyone in the student council, and everyone who had their blood drawn. Put simply by Bella, the blood drive was a “success because we got to save lives!”