The Chronicle

The Student News Site of Springfield Township High School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

Running for the Win: The 2024 Outdoor Track Season

Courtesy of STHS track team
Seniors pose for the 2024 Banquet.

The 2024 track season has been a very successful one. Led by Coach Mazurek, the team broke school records and competed in many invitational meets. They made it to the league championship, Penn Relays, and the district championships, which were held on the weekend of May 18th. CJ Johnson qualified for the state championship meet in the 400 meter.

The season started with harsh March weather, but the athletes’ perseverance paid off, and there were many qualifiers for competitive meets. A season highlight was qualifying for Penn Relays, for which, despite major mishaps in the races, the team is proud they competed on such a beautiful day. While the boys had baton passing mishaps at Penn Relays, the girls had impressive times. The 4×100 team, which consisted of Mikyah Evans, Alana Culler, Kayla Akins, and Libby Kline, finished with a time of 51.52. The 4×400 team: Alana Culler, Olivia Tau, Kaleigh Evans, and Murphy McGranaghan placed 8th in their heat and ran a time of 4:16.25. The team was proud of their accomplishments that day, and seniors were honored by running in relays. 

While Coach Mazurek says the biggest season highlight is “yet to come”—as he hopes to break more records at the district and state championships—a major highlight of this season was when senior Libby Kline broke two school records in the long jump and high jump. Freshman Sarah Bell also broke a school record in the triple jump. 

Coach Mazurek says, “This year’s team, more than any I’ve seen before, has a bond and a connectivity between every level.” He notes that freshmen and seniors don’t see each other as runners from different grades but simply as teammates. Through this season the runners have formed a bond that can’t be broken, and will always cheer each other on from the sidelines.