The Chronicle

The Student News Site of Springfield Township High School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

Behind the Scenes: Script To Screen

Dan Meder
Picture of Script To Screen Students hard at work.

Script to Screen, a project at Springfield High School where students create and film a movie over the course of a year in a class, started in 2013 and has only grown in popularity since. Mr Meder said they were inspired to start the class “after having several successful production classes with TV Production, Steel the Show, and the Greenfield Youth Film Festival.” They “thought it would be a really cool experience for the students to make something bigger.”

Over the years, Mr. Meder has watched as “the technology became so much more accessible than when we started, and in turn, the students’ ability to use that technology has developed.” Technology is a big factor in a project like this with all the filming equipment and editing resources needed; with this growth in ability, the quality of productions has naturally improved. 

When it comes to actually creating the script, Mr. Meder explains that “trying to get a large group to agree on one idea is no small feat.” The course starts with “several brainstorming activities and conversations over what we’d like the movie to look like.” The final idea is normally a combination of several suggestions that we all vote on. This entire process spans months as it takes time to brainstorm and then even more time to reach a consensus. 

Assistant producer Tim Schugsta further explains the process: “Script to Screen really starts on the first day of school. Throughout the fall, we brainstormed ideas and began constructing a script. Once we had a rough copy, we reviewed it many times to make sure it was exactly what we wanted. By the winter, we started filming, and now, in May, we are essentially done filming and now focused on editing our film.”

This process is long and hard, but Tim says that he has “really enjoyed the entire process of making the film, as it’s been an awesome journey to see our film come to reality.” Mr. Meder praises his students’ “passion and the extra hours they put in to make the film. These students are invested in this project and want the final product to reflect the time, effort, and skill they used to make it.”

Script to Screen is a great way to be given a real simulation of filmmaking, editing, and acting. Mr. Meder and Schugsta advise interested students to sign up for the class. Tim Schugsta advises prospective seniors to “enjoy the journey, even though it is stressful at times. Try to learn from others because the wide range of talents provides a great environment to learn from others and grow as a filmmaker, actor, writer, editor, director, etc.”

The final product of these students and teachers will be shown on May 24th.