The Chronicle

The Student News Site of Springfield Township High School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

Final Letter from the 2024 Editors

From the desk of Ayla DiBattista…

I never really thought I’d join the school newspaper. I thought my passion was elsewhere. 

Once I found out what The Chronicle was, I was reluctant to join but upon the insistence of a past editor, Simran Jain, I did. Over time, I watched not only as my writing skills developed but as my confidence and leadership skills did as well. Chronicle has allowed me to adopt a new view of the school, the behind-the-scenes that most aren’t privy to. It’s given me a new sense of the dedication that students and staff alike put into running such a school like Springfield. 

I’ve gotten to see people explore their passions in so many ways through the music department, athletics, and so many clubs. In that observance, I’ve found my own passion. Nothing gives me more joy than to hear someone talk about something they’re truly fascinated with. Through The Chronicle, I’ve been able to know so many people past just the surface level. I’ve learned to ask questions even to my closest friends because even when you are familiar with them, you can find new connections. 

That’s one of the things that I’ve found to be so cool about being a senior, students have their first ideas about what they want to pursue and I love to hear their perspectives.

I love to listen to people talk, and Chronicle is my way of recording their experiences for posterity. The Chronicle has been an amazing creative outlet for me over the past three stressful years and has led me to regard Springfield fondly, where I previously felt indifferent. I’ve learned that the people are what brings this school to life and that while our shared collective is something to enjoy, our differences should be similarly celebrated. 

The Chronicle has given me a voice where I was afraid to claim one previously. I’ve enjoyed every moment immensely and cannot thank my fellow editor, Tim, and our advisor, Mrs. McCaslin, enough for the support they showed this past year and every previous year. 

In my next few years of education and beyond, the lessons I’ve learned from The Chronicle and Springfield alike will carry me forward and continue to inspire me. 

Thank you,

Ayla DiBattista

From the desk of Tim Schugsta…

I still remember my first time through the chaos of the activities fair. I remember walking across this new school, still confused by its square shape, and looking at the poster from each club, wondering if I would be its next member. As I walked down the hall past the always popular YAG table and the new start of club DECA that has soon become a staple of our school, I found this little table in the back of the Jay Freeze Lobby. As I walked closer, I saw a sign reading “Join the Chronicle.” Whenever I was asked in middle school what I wanted to do when I grew up, my answer was always working as a beat writer for the Eagles, Phillies, or ideally both, and traveling across the country following my favorite teams and writing about their seasons. So, when I saw a sign to join the school newspaper, I was quick to join. 

From the first meeting, I knew this was something I would be involved in until May of 2024. Serving as a sports writer, then sports editor, and now co-editor-in-chief has been quite a ride. However, I would be remiss to not acknowledge those that have paved the way for my success. Simran Jain, Charlotte Hartner, and Sam Klein all provided me guidance in their leadership roles during my sophomore and junior years. Their leadership made me a better writer, and they exemplified the perfect formula to manage the writing process while also working as an editor. 

While on the topic of great examples, Mrs. McCaslin and all her work with me in both the classroom and Chronicle settings have allowed me to grow as a writer. Chronicle is one of the many ways in which Mrs. McCaslin works to help our school by establishing a setting for students to write about their interests in a manner in which they want. 

Although we have had our battles, I would also like to thank Ayla, the other co-editor, for all her hard work. She is an amazing and talented writer who has worked very hard to advance our newspaper. I, like her, will miss Chronicle very much, but I am still very thankful for my experience. 

A co-editor-in-chief should not be someone who is at a loss for words, but here I am. It is impossible to sum up my journey throughout Chronicle. With the countless goodbyes and thank you that a senior has to give at this time of year, the Chronicle is near the top of the most difficult. However, what gives me some solace is the understanding that there are plenty of new, talented writers coming up that will leave their mark on the Chronicle. Ayla and I have seen Chronicle transform from a small group that published on Canva that has our own website and is spread throughout the school. Although it is time for us to move on, I will still be an avid reader of the Chronicle, and I look forward to seeing how the next set of writers will influence our club.

Signed,

Tim Schugsta