The Chronicle

The Student News Site of Springfield Township High School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

Jorge Cardona, Beloved Custodian, Gone too Soon

Tragic news struck the Springfield community with the death of Jorge Cardona and his family.  You may have seen Mr. Cardona, a beloved custodian at STHS, working around making sure the cafeteria and other parts of the high school are nice and clean. Each day, he helped make the school a better place for every student within this school.

Mr. Cardona was just as essential to this school as any teacher, coach, counselor, and administrator.  Many students agree:  he was “very charismatic and lively,” regularly talking to students about their day as he went about his job.  Mr. Cardona would regularly speak to the Spanish-speaking students in Springfield, and it was clear he had a connection with them.  Dr. Zgraggen, the assistant principal, also encountered Mr. Cardona every day in the cafeteria, and “while language barriers were difficult, Mr. Cardona was always quick to help and very easygoing.” Likewise, Dr. MaryJo Yannacone, the superintendent, in a statement to  NBC 10 Philadelphia, described him as  “ a well-respected and much-beloved member of the Springfield community.” 

His sudden loss was a terrible shock to the Springfield community.  After investigation, it became clear that the Cardona family had passed from carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a silent but deadly gas that can travel unknown throughout anyone’s house. It is tragic that their lives were cut so short.