The Chronicle

The Student News Site of Springfield Township High School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

Meeting Our School Board: Sean Jordan

Courtesy of the Springfield Township Website

Sean Jordan was recently elected to the Springfield Township School Board in 2023.

Jordan is a graduate of Temple University with a Bachelors of Business Administration and a Masters of Science in Finance. He is currently a senior information technology manager at the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority and has over 20 years of experience working in finance and information technology. I sat down with him to learn more about his position and goal for his term.

What encouraged you to run? 

Well, being in the community for 10-12 years, we really got to know a lot of people in the township, and because of that, I wanted to be more involved with the community. I think one of the best ways to become involved in the community and the district, for that matter, is to be involved with the schools. The school board impacts everyone in our community because all of our students go to the school district. I think it’s important for us to maintain the school district and make it as best we can for the community and the students that attend. 

What challenges did you have to overcome during your campaign?

The biggest challenge was going out to people and listening to determine their issues regarding the school district and understanding where they’re coming from. As you know, the school district for this township is very diverse and you know that there are different perspectives regarding what the school district is doing for them. When you’re out there campaigning, you might hear other issues not necessarily pertaining to the school district, so you also have to be cognizant of that as well. 

How did your interactions with community members shape your campaign and your goals for your term? 

Most citizens brought up issues in regard to their fixed income. Those interactions helped me understand that it’s very important that we provide the best quality education without substantially raising taxes. 

What other concerns did community members raise? 

Most of the community was concerned with the infrastructure like with the issues with the middle school and the amount of money being spent on that project. I heard a lot of questions like “Why are we spending so much money at the middle school?” “Why do we need school buses?” and “Why do we have so many new fields for the students?” Those are the issues that were mainly brought to my attention. 

However, as part of the school board, we have to balance the issues between students, administration and the community. That’s the line we have to walk as a team so we have to weigh all aspects to make the best decisions for everyone. 

How do you feel your background will help you on the school board? 

Well, I have a project management and finance background, so one thing that we’re going to be getting into soon will be the school budget for the upcoming year and allocating funds for different programs. We’re going to be trying to provide and maintain the best opportunities that the school district currently provides with the resources that we have. It’ll be the balancing act again to provide the best services for the students in our school district. 

In terms of my background in project management, with the capital projects that we have going on that the school board will be looking to improve or monitor, I’ll be making sure we’re utilizing our resources most efficiently. 

What excites you the most about joining the school board? 

The opportunity to learn. I’m not coming from a school administration background so for me, I will be trying to learn all that I can about how it all operates and how it affects students and the community so I can be the best advocate for everyone in the community. 

Is there anything specific that you would like to accomplish throughout your term? 

Well, I have a four year term, so one of the things Dr. Yannacone and I discussed was getting the school district in a position to be in the top 25 in the next three-five years. I am definitely on board with her with that because that means that students are doing really well in school and will be equipped with all the skills necessary to be an adult. 

What’s included in that process? Is it mostly test scores? 

It’s based on test scores and the services provided by the school. Surveys are put out, World News does a ranking every year and a couple other publications do rankings, the Inquirer for one. We’re going to try to push to make sure this school district is the best it can be. 

What steps do you intend to achieve that? 

That’s where we look at policies and services we provide and essentially, what we can we do as the school board to support the administration and meet the needs of the students. 

When you say Top 25, is that in the state? 

Within the state.

I wish you luck!