Winter Sports Wrap-Up

Boy’s Basketball

The boy’s basketball team had a successful season, which led to an appearance in the district championship tournament. The Spartans, led by Coach Fusaro, finished the regular season with a 7-15 record. Will Cooney, a sophomore, acknowledged that towards the end of the season, the team started “playing better than they played all year.” This growth made them ready for the district tournament. Although they were unable to win the district championship, the Spartans had an impressive and successful season.

Girl’s Basketball

The girl’s basketball team worked hard through the 2023 season. Coach Giordano’s team finished the season with a 5-15 record, with some very close and competitive games. Grace Robinson, a sophomore, believed that as the season progressed, the team “really started to play together.” It was this team mindset that allowed the Spartans to earn wins against Jenkintown and Princeton as the season came to an end. 

Swimming

Another winter and another great season for the swim team. Throughout the season, every team member swam quality races. The girls swim team earned a suburban championship and a district championship. Additionally, many members of the team put up some great times at the state championship meet. Also, the boys team had an amazing season. Will Cross acknowledged that they beat “every team in their league” and saw great success in their post season. For the boys, 15 Spartans competed in the meet, including Will Cross, Gabe Fluehr, Greyson Line, Matthew Capoferri, Hunter Stock, Sam Pugh, Michael Cooper, Ryan McKelvie, Johnny Gendron, Logan Stum, Gavin Lake, Ashton Odar, Jacob Christ, Chase Piroli, and Will Cameron. Will Cross led the team with two gold medals at the meet, while Matt Capoferri earned a silver medal, and Gabe Fluehr, Greyson Line, and Hunter Stock each earned a bronze medal respectively. Of the 26 races Springfield swimmers swam at districts, 23 of the races were personal records. With this momentum from winning the district championship, Will Cross, Gabe Fluehr, Sam Pugh, and Matt Capoferri advanced to the state championship meet. All of the swimmers earned personal records and Will Cross won silver in the boys 100 yard freestyle. The girls swimming team also enjoyed similar success. Grace Toland, Anna Hendrzak, Grace Duncheskie,  Laney Forster, Amy Pischke, Olivia Igou,  Mika Gradistanac, Ashley Shultz, Natalie Rittler, Lucy Williamson, Aubrey Hendrzak, and Greta Pischke made it to the district championship meet. The Spartans won the meet with top performances from Grace Toland, who won the 100 yard backstroke, and Olivia Igou, who won the 50 yard freestyle. Of the 18 races the team swam at districts, 16 races were personal records for our Spartan swimmers. Grace Tolland, Anna Hendrzak, Amy Pischke, Mika Grandistanac, Olivia Igou, Laney Forster, and Grace Duncheskie advanced to the state championship meet. The 200 freestyle relay of Grace Tolland, Amy Pischke, Olivia Igou, and Laney Forster medaled at the meet. Both teams had amazing post seasons full of major success. At this point, success and the Springfield Swimming Team might as well be synonyms. 

Indoor Track

The Springfield indoor track team excelled in their 2022-2023 season. An important link from cross country and other fall sports to spring track, indoor track allowed many runners to stay in shape and put up some solid times. Throughout the season, many individual runners were able to put up some really impressive teams. Notably, the 4×400 relay, which consists of four runners running twice around an indoor track, achieved huge success. The relay consisted of Chase Lee (freshman), Kedar Moore (freshman), Caden Bronson (freshman), and Martin Corcoran (senior and captain). An all-around great season for the Springfield indoor track team!

Unified Bocce

The Unified bocce team had an amazing season as a new staple at Springfield. The Spartans, led by Coach Kelly, faced some tough challenges this season and fought hard to achieve great success. As the Unified program continues to expand, its fan base also does. Many students at Springfield, especially winter athletes, cheered on the bocce athletes as they gave it their best all season long. The smiles on the faces of the athletes were contagious as the Spartans made some great throws and grew as a team all season long. 

Wrestling

The Springfield wrestling team had a very impressive season. Despite dealing with some injuries down the stretch, the Spartans were able to earn some big wins against Father Judge, Wissahickon, and Lower Moreland. Wrestling, maybe more than any sport, requires individual success for team success. These victories, among the others the team had this year, show the collective persistence and motivation of all the wrestlers. The team finished with a 13-11 record. Will Horn, Felix Boccella, Aaron Kaufman, Jason Morrissy, Kenneth Cordon-Acevedo, Carlo Johnson, Colin Pennington, James Piroli, Tim Barry, Ethan Gatti, Jordan Bebee, and Finn Fitzpatrick made it to the district championship meet. Top performances included Will Horn, who finished second, and Colin Pennington, Carlo Johnson, Kenneth Cordon-Acevedo, Jason Morrissy, Aaron Kaufman, and Felix Boccella all finishing in third place in their respective weight classes. Marlo Williams finished fifth at districts and advanced to the state championship, where she finished 12th.  Great season from the Spartans and Coach McCaslin.

Great season Spartans, and thank you to Anna W. for the photos and all of our winter athletes.