Changing Lives: One Bracelet at a Time

Pulseras being sold outside of the Main Office (Picture by Nell Matthews)

Dozens of organizations have tried to improve the living conditions of the citizens in parts of Central America, but one nationwide program has drastically changed the lives of the people in Central America. The Pulsera Project is a non-profit organization that sells pulseras and bolsitas—bracelets and purses—in America, and then sends all of the money that was made back to the artists in Central America. 

On a normal day in Nicaragua and Guatemala, an average citizen makes about $3.50 to $5.00 a day, but even if one of their bracelets gets sold, they could make $7.00. Even if the amount is only a few dollars more, it can buy the necessary supplies that a family needs in everyday life. 

Vilma Aguilar Lopez, a young woman that previously lived in Guatemala, says that many people who sold goods in the markets were either young children or older citizens. 

“Usually people in the market sell food, fruits, vegetables, clothes, or some sell typical clothes [and] bracelets,” she says. “It is important for them to sell because the things they sell are where their money comes from.”

When she lived in Guatemala, Vilma stated that she knew someone who made handmade bracelets using different thread colors. In relation to that, Vilma also says that she makes her own bracelets a lot, and although she hasn’t ever taken part in the Pulsera Project, they bring her pleasure to make and she usually keeps them for herself.

Springfield Township High School is lucky enough to take part in this event every year. Every day during Lunch and Learn in December, members of the World Language Club at STHS set up and sold the pulseras and bolsitas right outside the main office. When the selling was done, they mailed everything back to the headquarters in South Carolina, and then the headquarters shipped the money back out to Central America.

Three purchased pulseras. (Picture by Maura Matthews)

STHS has been involved in the Pulsera Project for multiple years, the first sale being in the year before COVID-19 hit. Herr Martin and Señora Cohen, the advisors of the World Language Club, were so excited to bring the project back after they were unable to sell the products in 2020. 

“Last year we contributed one thousand dollars,” Herr Martin says. “So we’re looking to increase that this year, too.”

The Pulsera Project has greatly affected the artisans and citizens that live in Central America. In the words of Señora Cohen, “This is not only a project, but you’re contributing to someone’s well-being. You’re contributing to [the] community, and I think that as global citizens, we all strive to help one another…both here in Springfield and then globally.”

She states that if there’s an opportunity to help people, then students, staff, and anyone else that might be interested should participate. Herr Martin says that the goal of the World Language Club is to have an impact on people outside of Springfield, and the Pulsera Project is an easy way to reach that goal.

However, Señora Cohen and Herr Martin are not the only ones that have been involved in this project for a few years. The co-presidents of the club, Ethan Jiang and Layla Goodman, have been selling pulseras for two years, as well as secretary, Amanda McHale and vice president, Julianne Needleman.

Jiang feels strongly about the impact of the Pulsera project. “The proceeds not only go to the artists themselves, [they also go] towards Central America’s education and economy and the general lifestyle of the people.”

Lives have truly been changed with the Pulsera Project. According to Señora Cohen, an entire was built in Guatemala due to this project, and not only Guatemala has been positively affected. A typical school day in Nicaragua included only four hours of school, but the money from the Pulsera Project has allowed students to attend school for more hours each day and improve their education.

Projects as simple as the Pulsera Project can change the world in major ways. High school students can be key in helping small organizations prosper. Teens are the future of the world, thus, it’s their job to ensure that the future is a good one. 

With causes such as these, contributors and supporters directly see the fruit of their efforts. In many cases, people donate money and never see where it goes. Supporters of the Pulsera Project that buy pulseras and bolsitas can learn who their bracelet was made by and see what their money funds.

To achieve an ideal future you can support the Pulsera Project and similar projects all over the world. Put some of the money you earn aside, whether it’s from a simple babysitting job or a year-round job, and look up projects that align with your beliefs to donate to. If you cannot donate yourself, tell your family about causes you want to help support. Even the smallest donations mean a lot.

Students are not too young to have a voice and change the world.